TayTay, you Cray Cray

March 11, 2013

I know I'm late to the bandwagon (when am I not?), but I have to comment on this Taylor Swift thing. Y'all know I'm not a fan of her and her elementary-school lyrics that get more stupid each time (she started with whole sentences, and moved to just repeating words, then repeating consonants). But by saying there's a "special place in hell for women who don't help other women" about Tina and Amy's golden Globes joke...she went too far.

TayTay, let's discuss how your latest song isn't helping any women at all.

"And he's long gone when he's next to me
And I realize the blame is on me
'Cause I knew you were trouble when you walked in
So shame on me now"



It's a catchy song, but when you see the video...it's completely different than just a "silly girl, don't date the bad boy." First of all, TSwift, you're not helping any women anywhere by perpetuating the stereotype that girls who get into emotionally and physically abusive relationships "knew better" or "had a part to play in it." You're certainly not helping any woman who has actually been in one of these relationships by trying to turn it into a grungy-pop music video to help mature your image.

Here's what I have to say to you, Taylor, using the words of a man who has lasted far longer than any of your songs ever will:



(Also, none of us are fooled by your video. Like you would ever go to a Burning Man concert. Or a bar that has a pool table (are you even 21?!!?). )

Linking up with Leann for Monday's Join the Gossip!

5 comments:

  1. New follower...and you just stole my heart with this post. I am very anti-anything Taylor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol I heard this song last fall while I was in Australia so it's a memory that I associate with it and it makes me happy. BUT you're right, it's not the best when it comes to lyrics lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I initially loved how catchy this song was but TSwift has been pissin' me off lately. She compares a lighthearted joke, provided by two of the most awesome female comedians out there, as worthy of going to hell and then she creates this video. Similar concepts have already been done by artists who are actually addressing the complications with being in abusive relationships, and then we have TSwift saying that she's only dated two guys (that's a whole other can of worms). I appreciated how you touched on that she's basically putting blame on the victims in these relationships. Her song is addressing crappy relationships as in you dated douchebags, not guys that are harmful to you physically, mentally or emotionally. I really hated that she made this style/chose this style of video for it, it's not appropriate. Also did anyone else find it ironic that the quote was, "there's a special place in hell for women who don't help other women"? Um, comparing your song of teen angst to young women in abusive relationships kind of fits in that category. hashtagjustsayin

    In other news, you are super adorbs. <-got to end on a good note
    That is all :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Hayley Larue Design