First of all, I jumped on the GIRLS bandwagon a little late (I am always late to these bandwagons! Probably because I'm too busy shoving my face full of food to listen to what people are talking about round the water cooler or twittersphere or whatever). So one weekend, I finally got really bored and settled into bed with a bottle of wine and some GIRLS.
I do like that the show embraces 20somethings and the general confusion/transitory nature of that period. I didn't even know there was a whole "20something" category of TV shows, newspaper articles and blogs until this show came out.
THINGS THAT ARE LIKE MY LIFE IN GIRLS:
1) Every time I ask my coworkers if we can have a lady lunch:
2) Every time I get a paycheck and think that I'm really rich...only to have it disappear when I pay all my bills:
THINGS THAT ARE NOTHING AT ALL LIKE MY LIFE IN GIRLS:1) I'm certainly not having as much fun being lost and confused and "20something" as Lena Dunham is. Maybe it's because I don't do cocaine.
3) I've never accompanied a girlfriend to her abortion appointment. And while yes, I have been in Planned Parenthood, I've never seen a group of girl friends doing this either.
4) I doubt that people can survive in New York and go to clubs and art galleries and buy food to throw lavish dinner parties and always buy drinks or FroYo with friends on a BARISTA'S SALARY.
5) Do people really just move to NY with no job guaranteed when they get there? How does that work? Like...really? Is this something I should do?
6) These girls do everything together. I've lived in a sorority house and I've never done half the shit these girls do together, including but not limited to dancing naked together, crawling in bed together while naked and taking baths together.
That's all. GIRLS confuses me. Some parts I'm like "YES, spot on! this is my awkward, unreal, 20something life." And other parts I'm like "Um...no. Try again."And let's not even get started on the ego-trip Lena Dunham went through in Season 2. Any time anyone but her was on screen for more than 30 seconds she threw a Hollywood-sized (though she's too hipster to admit it) hissy fit. Oh, Marnie is on screen? I'm going to have sex with a married man. Oh, Jessa got divorced? Well I'm going to have a psychotic breakdown and admit that "I just want to be happy." Oh, anyone except me is on the screen? I have OCD. Oh, you guys are still wishing that anyone but me would show up on the screen? I'm gonna shove a Q-tip down my ear and go to the hospital. Lena, get over yourself.
Do you watch GIRLS? Are you a fan, confused, disturbed by it or a combination of all three?